3/09/2015

Arbor Lodge



I know this seems the wrong time of year for this, but I read a reference recently to Arbor Lodge State Historical Park in Nebraska City,  Nebraska.  I got interested in its history, and naturally enough for me, this led me to local real estate listings.  (I'm fascinating at cocktail parties, trust me.)

This 1920 home is just a short jaunt from the park.  Its interiors are a little...historic, but it has its own charm.  (Could you tell from the photo that its on a brick street?)

The entry does have a built-in bench by the stairs, but it's a little drab:



Nothing a little chipper paint and some updated accessories can't address. 
(Paint color is Benjamin Moore Dulce de Leche.)

The living room can best be described as morose:

It appears that the owners are still mourning the death of Walt Disney, whose portrait is over the mantel (kidding). 


Now I'm feeling blue, but in a good way with this beautiful wallpaper and fabric.  

The dining room could also use some freshening up:


{Bunny Williams}

How about an updated version of a panel mural and much happier chairs?

The kitchen has a charming copper hood over the fireplace:



{Better Homes and Gardens}

Let's take that idea and run with it. How about a little blueberry and cream with our copper?

"Welcome guests! Enjoy your stay," says this bed:


{Marshall Watson}

That looks a little more cozy and interesting.

The master bedroom has wonderfully large windows that aren't appreciated:



{Better Homes and Gardens}

I think framing the windows and cooling down the bedding is the way to go.  For our purposes, I changed the original magazine image by framing the windows with Benjamin Moore Adriatic Sea and cooled down the bedding with Benjamin Moore Sea Salt.

{Better Homes and Gardens}
(The original, in case you were curious.)

Well, I don't know if today's house has inspired anyone to plant a little green, but hopefully it inspired us to paint a little blue.  I think this house now feels blue in the best possible way.










7 comments :

  1. Vicki,

    Wouldn't it be great to live on a brick street...like cobblestone, it just seems so wonderful. I like the blue and white accents you've installed on this house. It brings it up to date without making it seem implausible that that could be original to the home's decor. That kitchen ceiling, wow!
    Enjoy your week and the warm weather they're predicting. :-)
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen- Yep, I thought blue and white would be cheery, but still classic enough for this house. I lived on a brick street my senior year of college. It was near the campus and I enjoyed the house and feeling like I was part of the history of the area, even though it was so temporary.
      Yay, the sun is back around here! Hasn't it been wonderful?

      Delete
  2. Hi Vicki! I can't believe how much the blue and white livens up those rooms. That dining room is fantastic and I have fallen completely in love with that kitchen... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dee! I love that kitchen too. I want to pin it to multiple boards. :) It makes me think of old movies for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki! Realtors should seriously hire you. This reminds me of our Beaufort house when we bought it, all the pea green carpet and the sheers. Gorgeous picks, as always!! xo Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy- Your Beaufort kitchen is so pretty and perfect that I wouldn't have believed you if you hadn't shown the before pictures! :)

      Delete
  5. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete