10/13/2014

Landon Lane



Hello readers!  If today's house looks vaguely familiar to you, it's because you saw it on the blog Hooked on Houses last week.  Julia posed the question, "How would you fix up this old house in Virginia?"  Lots of people responded, so armed with their ideas plus the inspiration intact in this 1912 charmer,  I decided to give it a whirl.


On the front porch, the vote to add rockers and a porch swing was popular, and I figured a little fall color (and a cute doggie) would seal the deal.

{Better Homes and Gardens}

The kitchen has period charm, and most commenters wanted it to stay intact.


{Sharon Lovejoy}

I want to bring in Craftsman gray-green paint to work with the existing cabinets. 
Here's another before view for reference:



The dining room looks like it needs new flooring and some inspiration:



Since the inspiration photo is a little dressier than our space, I created a quick mash-up of the two dining rooms to see the possibilities:


The wallpaper border above the fireplace is called Birchwood Frieze by Bradbury and Bradbury.


The living room brings to the forefront a common debate-- paint the woodwork or restore it?


I'm advocating both approaches, as beautifully demonstrated below:


I also like this furniture arrangement, and how it continues the new color palette from the rest of the house.  The window trim can be left white, and the existing original wood finishes restored, such as in the entry, below:



In terms of decorating this entry, I'd just flip-flop the rug and wall colors, like so:

{Better Homes and Gardens}

Going up our now beautifully restored stairs, we'll take a peek at one of the 3 bathrooms:


Some of Julia's commenters mentioned how Nicole Curtis from the HGTV show Rehab Addict could work wonders with this house, and I think this bathroom proves their point:

{Nicole Curtis}

There we go, all fresh and clean.

Now let's check out 2 of the 4 bedrooms.


More period charm, coming right up:




I like the shape of this room.  It just needs a little pretty inspiration:

{Cathy Kincaid}

{source unknown}

Hopefully this cozy house in Orange, Virginia will be as well-loved for its next 100 years, too.
Thanks so much Julia, for the inspiration!





13 comments :

  1. Wow! There were so many fabulous ideas, I'm not sure which room I like the best. The front porch, the cozy living room, that gorgeous bathroom, the beautiful white, canopy piece over the bed, oh and that amazing kitchen! I loved it all... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee- this was a fun one to work on, that's for sure. I'd take either one of those inspiration beds!

      Delete
  2. You never cease to amaze me with the perfect images you find. Just love the kitchen and the bedroom…fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that kitchen cute? I enjoyed reading about it. I had heard of Sharon Lovejoy's books, but didn't make the connection that it was her kitchen right away, so that was a fun side-trail.

      Delete
  3. Vicki,
    You really helped this historic home look its best. While touring the rooms all I could think is what would it look like lightened up a bit and you magically did just that. There are a few historic craftsman houses in Pasadena, have you been on tour of any of those? I've only visited the Gamble house.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen- I've only ever been to the Gamble house, too. I enjoyed that. That would be fun to do a Pasadena house tour. Their Heritage weekend (actually this weekend) is a little expensive, but I've got my eye on the holiday floral tour in December.

      Delete
  4. love that bathroom. thanks for all the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I enjoy watching Nicole Curtis. She always makes me feel lazy, but inspired. :)

      Delete
  5. tolle bilder und inspirationen!!! einen schönen mittwoch und liebe grüße von angie aus deutschland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Angie. Ich bin so froh, du nicht mehr durch! (Hope I got that right!) :)

      Delete
  6. In the process of buying this home now...thanks for the ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat- Congratulations! It's a beautiful home. If you can, I'd love it if you could send pictures when you get settled and made it your own. Thanks so much for letting me know!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete