Yvonne's House, Bridgeton, Missouri



Welcome to another edition of If It Were Mine- for somebody else.  If It Were Theirs.  To be more precise, this cute home in Bridgeton, Missouri is a candidate for friendly reader Yvonne's house-hunting son and daughter-in-law.  Let's check out the possibilities for this well-kept 1973 ranch.


My first thought was something like this neutral but cozy space.  (The listing mentions hardwood floors under the existing carpet.)  Then I looked at the other side of the living room and had another idea.




You might have spotted this lovely dining room in Better Homes and Gardens recently.  I thought of it because Yvonne mentioned our house hunters have an inherited drop-leaf cherry table.  Since this house doesn't have a dedicated dining room, this is a great second option for the front room.  Put a  console table near the front door that could double as a buffet table, and they'd be all set for entertaining.

As for the kitchen, I just want to know why every listing I've featured lately has green walls like these:



Instead, I suggest Benjamin Moore Upper West Side on the walls.  This is the quick-change, budget friendly idea for this kitchen.  I added photo ledges for the couple's travel photos Yvonne mentioned.  I did add a wood panel to the front of the dishwasher- a possible source for actually doing that is here.    Basically I just want to balance the white of the appliances with more white throughout the room.

Here in the breakfast nook...




...you can see where I found inspiration for a space that's a nice blend of traditional and contemporary.

Lastly,  I wanted to include a bit of a stretch-goal for this kitchen, if it were remodeled and expanded into the breakfast nook space.  I think it would be neat to wrap open shelving around the windows and incorporate the refrigerator more into the design.  Something along these lines:

{source unknown}

The family room opens from the kitchen:



All I know is, our house hunters have a big tv, so I figured built-ins like this (hopefully configured with stock cabinetry) would be welcome for their tv and books.

As for the master bedroom...


{This Old House}

...I liked this creative nod to our well-traveled couple. 

I'm assuming they might turn one of the bedrooms into an office, as the previous homeowners have.



I'm also assuming they'll want to display more of their photo art in the space, and this gallery wall is a pretty spiffy way to do just that.

Finally, I have to show a happy Corgi in the listing's pretty backyard, in a final bit of imagination that this home  could indeed be the perfect house for this young couple.


Thanks for stopping by!
(I'm not sure what their Corgi actually looks like.)




You might also like:





Popular Posts